With dogs being the most commonly kept pet in Europe and North America where the majority of our readers live and the Swedish fish candies also being popular in many areas of North America, it was only a matter of time before the number of people asking if dogs can eat swedish fish got to a level where we had to publish an article on it.
We hope that we will be able to help our readers better understand the potential effects of swedish fish on your dog’s digestive system and help you make a more informed choice.
We know that dogs will constantly pester their owners for anything that they are eating and it is easy and convenient to just give your dog a small part of your meal but sometimes, this can have an undesirable effect on your dog’s diet.
Most people tend to underestimate just how much of an effect a single candy can potentially have too so we hope that our article will be able to help you avoid these mistakes with your dog.
Due to seeing so many slightly different questions from the community about giving your dog Swedish fish from the community, we decided to add our table of contents below. This should make it as easy as possible to navigate the article and quickly get to the information that you want.
Can Dogs Eat Swedish Fish?
Most healthy adult dogs should be able to eat a single swedish fish candy without issue but the large amount of sugar in the candy may cause some dogs to vomit or suffer from diarrhea.
It is unlikely that there will be any serious long term side effects to giving your dog a small number of swedish fish candies though and plenty of people have given the treat to their dogs.
At the time of writing, the current ingredient list of swedish fish does not contain xylitol but this may change in the future.
Always check the label of any candy that you plan to give to your dog and never give them anything that contains xylitol as it can give your dog some serious health issues.
Thankfully though, as we mentioned, at the time of writing, swedish fish do not contain xylitol so this is not a risk.
For the most part though, your dog should not have any problems if you give your dog a swedish fish as a treat.
We really wouldn’t recommend that you give your dog more than one though as it is too high in refined sugars for the majority of dogs and there will almost always be a much better option available due to the low nutritional value of swedish fish.
Should You Give Your Dog Swedish Fish?
If you are eating swedish fish candies and your dog is around you pestering for a treat then you can give your dog one single swedish fish if you want.
This should not cause problems in the majority of dogs but we wouldn’t recommend that you give your dog any more than just one swedish fish as the more you give your dog the higher the change gets of it vomiting.
Swedish fish should never be used as a direct replacement for actual dog treats either and shouldn’t be given to your dog on a regular basis. Getting some high-quality dog treats is a much better option for your dog than swedish fish for regular dog treats.
Not only do they offer a much better macro-nutrient profile for dogs but their overall nutritional profile such as the vitamins and minerals that they contain are better too.
This will be able to improve the nutritional value of your dog’s overall diet and provide the dog with a much better food source than a swedish fish.
That brings our article gong over if dogs can eat swedish fish or not to an end and we hope that we have been able to help you if you are considering giving your pet dog a swedish fish treat. Although there are much better options on the market, if it is just a one off then it shouldn’t be a problem and your dog should be fine with the current ingredients list for swedish fish so feel free to throw your dog a candy.