With dogs being such a popular option for a pet in North America and Europe where the majority of our readers live, we constantly see dog owners asking a wide range of questions about their pets.
In addition to their popularity, many dogs have mischievous personalities so we also see people reaching out worried about things that their dogs have been able to eat that they really shouldn’t have.
We have already published a number of articles similar to this but for today’s article, we will be going over what to do if your dog ate bologna string as we have noticed a number of people reaching out worried about it each month so we wanted to publish this article.
Our hope is that we are going to be able to help as many of our readers as possible as we have noticed a large number of people worrying due to their dog having eaten bologna string.
What Is Bologna String?
Bologna string is a type of string that is designed to hold balonga meats in specific shapes for display or to keep slices of bolonga together in a pack.
Bologna string can also be referred to as baloney string, lunch meat string, or deli meat string.
Traditional balongna string is made from the gastrointestinal tracts of cattle, sheep and pigs making it edible but this is only popular in Europe these days.
Most bologna string in the USA is usually a plastic product making it potentially harmful to dogs.
Due to the string being used to secure bologna, it will often smell and taste like bologna so it is surprisingly common for dogs to eat it.
Is Bolonga Sting Toxic To Dogs?
No, the modern, plastic balonga string is not toxic to dogs but that does not make it safe for them to consume.
The issue with bologna string is that it can cause blockages in your dog’s digestive system which can be very dangerous and potentially life threatening.
If you think that your dog has consumed any kind of string, we recommend that you take them to the vet as soon as possible as they may need to be put on a course of antibiotics and have the string surgically removed.
If you have a traditional bolonga that has a string made from the gastrointestinal tracts of cattle, sheep or pigs then your dog will usually be able to digest it quickly and without issue as it is technically a food product.
Can a Dog Pass A Bologna String?
In most cases, a dog will be able to pass a bolonga string without issue but there is always a risk that the string will get tangled up in their digestive system which can cause serious health issues.
The best way to avoid this is to make sure that your dog does not eat any kind of string in the first place but if you think that they may have consumed some, we recommend taking them to the vet as soon as possible.
The issue is that many dog owners will keep checking their dog’s poop for signs of the bologna sting having been passed and then worry that their is a blockage in their dog’s digestive system due to not seeing their dog pass the string.
As we mentioned above, traditional bologna string is made from natural products and it is digestible by your dog meaning that there will be no trace left over in their poop.
This can cause a number of dog owners to end up being worried about the health of their dog but unfortunately, the only way to confirm if there is a blockage in your dog’s digestive system is often an x-ray at the local vets office.
How To Prevent Your Dog From Eating Bologna String?
The best way to prevent your dog from eating bologna string is to keep it out of their reach.
This means keeping an eye on them when you are preparing balogna or any other type of lunch meat and making sure that they do not have access to the string.
You should also make sure that you dispose of any used bologna string properly so that your dog does not come across it by accident.
If you do eat bologna on a regular basis and you are worried about your dog being able to eat it or the string then getting a traditional bologna with edible string is probably going to be the best route forward.
You will usually have to go to a food market or local deli to get traditional bologna in most parts of the USA but it is common in regular super stores in Europe with the string being edible clearly marked on the packaging.