Skip to Content

My Dog Ate Ferrero Rocher!

The majority of dogs will instinctivley want to eat any food that they see their owners eat and every single month we see dog owners reaching out worried because their dog has managed to eat something that it probably shouldn’t have.

More recently, a number of dog owners have been reaching out worried because their dog ate a Ferrero Rocher and they have wanted to know about any potential risk that their dog may be exposed to due to chocolate being toxic to dogs.

Due to seeing a surprisingly high number of people reaching out about their dog eating Ferrero Rocher each month, we have decided to publish out own article going over the topic.

We hope that we will be able to offer a more realistic breakdown of the potential risk to your dog rather than the often drastically incorrect information that we see people on social media suggesting.

Now, if you do notice any strange behavior in your dog after it has ate Ferrero Rocher or you just want a professional opinion, you are able to book a video call with a veterinarian who will quickly assess your dog’s condition.

These video calls are with fully qualified veterinarians and can work out to be much cheaper than a trip to your local vets while also being able to put you on the call with the vet within minutes too.

Are Ferrero Rocher Bad For Dogs?

Ferrero Rocher is technically bad for dogs due to it containing chocolate and as many dog owners know, chocolate is toxic to dogs.

There is a level of toxicity required for your dog to be at risk of any real health problems though and a normal ferrero rocher is far from that limit.

So, although Ferrero Rocher is technically toxic to dogs, the chocolate in the Ferrero Rocher is too small to present any serious thread to a healthy dog by itself.

Is it generally accepted that a healthy dog will have to eat around 20 ounces of milk chocolate to potentially have serious or even fatal reactions to chocolate.

A single Ferrero Rocher is about 0.45 ounces and only 16% of that is actually chocolate so each Ferrero Rocher contains around 0.072 ounces of milk chocolate, far from the 20 ounces of milk chocolate required for a dog to have serious issues due to eating chocolate.

This is why the majority of dogs who do manage to steal a Ferrero Rocher or two when you are not looking will not have any problems.

Some may have some light vomiting or diarrhea but most will be totally fine and not have any symptoms at all but again, if you do want confirmation, you can book a video call with a vet to have them tell you this information too.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate A Ferrero Rocher?

If you do notice that your dog has eaten a Ferrero Rocher then you should monitor it for any potential toxicity symptoms with the main ones being shaking, vomiting, and diarrhea.

If you do notice any of these symptoms in your dog after it has eaten Ferrero Rocher then you should get in contact with a vet as soon as possible.

As we touched on above, the majority of the time, a healthy dog who eats a single Ferrero Rocher will usually be fine and not have any problems at all.

The more Ferrero Rochers that your dog eats, the more likely it is to experience symptoms of toxicity and potentially have some serious health issues.

In addition to that, some dogs may also eat the wrapper of the Ferrero Rocher of they steal the chocolate when you are not looking.

Although most dogs should easily be able to pass the wrapper of Ferrero Rocher, keep an eye out for any signs of impaction or digestive issues and if you do notice any potential problems, get in contact with a vet.

Should I Let My Dog Eat Ferrero Rocher?

We would never recommend that you let your dog eat Ferrero Rocher.

Although the risks are minimal to your dog, Ferrero Rocher do still present a risk and your dog may have been eating chocolate it managed to steal from other member of the household or have health issues that make it more sensitive to the risk of the chocolate in the Ferrero Rocher.

The general guidelines that we used for the breakdown earlier in the article are for an averages size dog to so the amount of chocolate required for your dog to have issues due to a Ferrero Rocher will be slightly different.

Smaller dog breeds can require considerably less and if you have children in the house, it can be common for them to drop their food and your dog to quickly grab it so your smaller dog may already have chocolate in its system.

There are plenty of other suitable dog treats that you are able to give to your dog if you wish. Not only do they not contain any chocolate at all but they are actually nutritionally suitable for dogs and offer your dog healthy treats that most dogs love.


That brings our article going over what to do if your dog ate a Ferrero Rocher to a close. We hope that we have been able to help you better understand the potential risks of chocolate and specifically, chocolate from a Ferrero Rocher to your dog. Thankfully, the vast majority of the time your dog will be totally fine and not have any problems with the chocolate in its system at all but if you do notice any problems, get in contact with a veterinarian as fast as possible.