Skip to Content

What To Do If Your Dog Ate A Marker!

With so many families having a pet dog, it’s only natural that people will end up running into problems with their dogs and end up having to reach out for advice on various things.

Although dogs mean well, they can end up eating some random things that are definitely not good for them causing their owners to worry.

Every single month we see countless questions being asked about various different things that a dog has eaten that it shouldn’t have.

For today’s article, we are going to be taking a look at what you should do if your dog ate a marker as a number of people have been asking about this recently.

Different markers have different ingredients in them so this article is only general advice as the various ingredients can have very different effects on your dog when injected.

This article is also not intended to be a replacement for professional advice from a veterinarian either and is for informational purposes only. If you do notice any strange side effects in your dog then you should take it to a vet as soon as possible.

What Happens Is A Dog Eats A Marker?

The first thing that you need to do is remain calm as worrying will not help the situation and could actually make it worse.

Once you have calmed down, the next step is to check the ingredients list on the marker that your dog ate.

If the marker is non-toxic then there is no real reason to worry about possible toxins in the marker as your dog should be fine.

One thing to note is that even a non-toxic marker can still cause problems with cuts or internal blockages as the plastic of the marker passes through your dog.

If you do notice that your dog hasn’t pooped as much as it usually does, you need to take it to a vet to have them check for a potential blockage.

It is also important to note that just because a marker is non-toxic, it doesn’t mean that it is good for your dog to eat and could still cause them an upset stomach.

If the marker is toxic then you need to take your dog to the vet as soon as possible as they may need treatment.

Symptoms of a potential issue due to a toxic marker include vomiting, diarrhea, twitching, and anything else out of the ordinary.

Is There Any Risk Of Ink Poisoning If My Dog Ate A Marker?

The short answer is no, there is no real risk of ink poisoning if your dog ate a marker.

This is because the ink in markers is not designed to be ingested and as such, it will just pass through your dog without causing any issues.

The only time that you need to worry about ink poisoning is if the ink was injected into your dog’s bloodstream some other way.

This is very unlikely to happen with a marker as the ink is not designed to be injected in this manner.

Is Ethanol Harmful To Dogs?

Many modern markers contain ethanol and this may be a potential problem for your dog if ingested.

Ethanol is a type of alcohol and as such, it can be very harmful to dogs if they consume too much of it.

Symptoms of ethanol poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and difficulty breathing.

If you think that your dog may have consumed too much ethanol then you should take them to the vet as soon as possible.

Thankfully, the amount of ethanol in many modern markers is way too low to pose any real threat to the majority of dogs who are healthy.

If you do have professional level, artist grade markers that are permanent markers then they will commonly contain far more ethanol than normal markers and have a much higher chance of causing potential problems for your dog.

How To Prevent Your Dog From Eating A Marker!

The best way to prevent your dog from eating a marker is to keep them away from markers entirely.

This means either keeping them out of reach or in a place where your dog cannot get to them.

If you have young children in the house then it is also a good idea to keep the markers up high where they cannot reach them either.

Another good idea is to put the markers away after use so that your dog does not mistake them for a toy or something that they are allowed to play with.

If you do notice that your dog is interested in markers then it is a good idea to provide them with an alternative toy that they can chew on instead.

This will help to redirect their attention away from the markers and onto something that is more suitable for them.

Should I Take My Dog To See A Vet If It Ate A Marker?

If the marker is non-toxic then there is no need to take your dog to see a vet as they will likely be fine.

However, if the marker is toxic or you are unsure about its toxicity then you should take your dog to see a vet as soon as possible.

Many markers are now labelled as being non-toxic but this is not always the case and it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Your vet will be able to assess your dog and determine if they are displaying any symptoms that may be due to the marker.

They will also be able to provide you with advice on what to do next and whether or not you need to take any further action.

Just remember that both toxic and non-toxic markers have a risk of causing cuts and blockages in your dog as they work their way through the digestive system.

In most cases, you should be fine but if you notice any differences in the frequency that your dog goes for a poop then you need to be getting your dog to a vet as soon as possible.

If your dog has not passed the marker within three days you should definitely take your dog for a check up at the vet too.