Skip to Content

What To Do If Your Dog Ate Trail Mix!

If your dog has ate trail mix then you need to check the specific type of trail mix to see if it contains raisins as even a small number of raisins can be toxic to dogs.

Unfortunately, the majority of tail mix products on the market do contain raisins these days meaning that you should never let your dog eat trail mix if possible.

Still, accidents happen and with dogs loving to try get some of whatever their owner is eating, it is common for a dog to eat trail mix when you are not looking.

In most cases, if your dog does eat trail mix then you have to try and make the dog vomit as soon as possible be it via treatment at your local veterinarian’s or by making your dog vomit yourself with a DIY method.

Some of the DIY methods for making a dog method online are not safe and may put your dog at risk if done incorrectly.

You can book a video call with a vet to have them guide you through the process of how to make your dog vomit to get the raisins from the trail mix out of its system as soon as possible or offer alternative things that you may be able to try.

Why Trail Mix Is Bad For Dogs!

As mentioned, trail mix is bad for dogs due to the raisins which are found in almost all trail mix products. Raisins can cause renal failure in dogs even if they only consume a small number of them so it is always best to err on the side of caution.

Raisins can act surprisingly quickly after a dog eats them too so if your dog does consume trail mix then you should keep a very close eye on them for the next 24 hours at the very least.

Symptoms of raisin poisoning in dogs include vomiting, lethargy, and refusal to eat but the internal problems are only just developing and can sometimes prove lethal.

In less serious cases, spices such as cayenne pepper can cause issues with dogs with some of the spicy trail mix recipes including these spices. For the most part though, these are no where near as serious as the raisins that your dog has potentially eaten in the trail mix.

How Many Raisins Are Toxic To Dogs?

There is no one definitive answer to this question to the number of raisins that require for toxicity to kick in with dogs will have different sensitivities to raisins.

Even a small number of raisins can be toxic to some dogs while others may need to consume a larger amount before any problems develop.

The breed, age, health, hydration level, weight, and gender of your dog all come into play with raisin toxicity too. This means that a time frame for one dog can be totally different to the time frame for another dog but our standard advice is to take action as soon as possible.

One thing that we would say is that in most cases, raisins injected by a dog do tend to cause potentially serious, negative effects in the dog at a rapid speed. Often much faster than the majority of people initially expect.

This is why it is always best to take your dog to the emergency vet or call them for advice as soon as you realize that your dog has eaten trail mix.

Do All Dogs Get Sick From Raisins?

The majority of dogs that do eat raisins from trail mix or some other source will have some negative systems. A high percentage of dogs that do eat raisins will also have serious problems too that can end up being serious or life changing in some cases.

Renal failure in dogs is a serious condition that can be caused by eating raisins. Dogs that consume raisins can develop renal failure, which is a condition that affects the dog’s kidneys.

Symptoms of renal failure in dogs include vomiting, lethargy, and refusal to eat and it can develop in as little as 48 hours from a small number of raisins.

In other cases, your dog may only end up vomiting the raisins back out of its digestive system before any of the serious issues are able to set in. Some dogs will naturally vomit the raisins up, others may require assistance with purging the raisins from their system.

How Long After Eating Raisins Will A Dog Get Sick?

The time it takes for a dog to start showing symptoms after eating raisins can vary depending on the dog. For some dogs, it can take just a few hours for raisin toxicity to set in while others may not start showing any symptoms for 24 hours or more.

As we mentioned earlier, there are a lot of different factors that can come into play with how long it takes for a dog to start showing symptoms. Things like the breed, age, health, hydration level, weight, and gender of your dog all play a role in how fast raisin toxicity can set in.

Dogs with existing health problems may also be more susceptible to raisin toxicity and may start to show symptoms sooner than a dog without any health problems. Dogs with existing problems with their kidneys are also more susceptible to problems after eating raisins from trail mix too.

What Should I Do If My Dog Ate Trail Mix?

If you think that your dog has eaten trail mix, the first thing you should do is book a video call with a veterinarian, call your regular veterinarian or local emergency vet. They will be able to provide you with the best advice on what to do and whether or not you need to bring your dog in for treatment.

In some cases, your dog may just need to be monitored for a few hours or days to make sure that no serious symptoms develop. In other cases, your dog may need to be hospitalized for treatment and in some cases, the veterinarian may give the dog a quick treatment to cause the dog to vomit and purge the raisins and rest of the trail mix from its system then send it home to be monitored.

There is no one size fits all treatment for a dog that has eaten trail mix that contains raisins and each dog will be treated on a case by case basis.

What If I Can’t Get My Dog To A Veterinarian’s Office?

If you are out hiking and not able to get your dog to a veterinarian’s office quickly, trying to get your dog to vomit yourself may be the best option but due to legal reasons, we are not able to offer any DIY methods that you are able to use to cause your dog to vomit but they are readily available on Google and most present a risk to your dog.